Monday, May 7, 2012

Does facial hair growth in (young) adult women always indicate a hormonal imbalance?

I am 21 years old with no known history of hormonal issues. My period is known to be a little late from time to time buy usually ranges from 30-35 days. Over the past year I have been having mild lower left abdominal pain usually 2 weeks before my period, my Dr. say's there is nothing wrong although I beg to differ. As this has become more infrequent I have been waiting it out. For several years now I have struggled with patches of facial hair, on either side of my chin and also under my chin. The hair is dark and grows quickly even if plucked, so I no longer bother. I am planning to take this up with my Dr. tomorrow. As of right now I am curious as if anyone else has had this issue.



A little extra info-



I am adopted so I have no way of knowing my birthmothers or birth family's history.



My men. cycle started at age 9.



Not on birth control as of now.



In a sexually active relationship with only my husband.



Thanks!



Does facial hair growth in (young) adult women always indicate a hormonal imbalance?

I have the same and on my back and a little hair on the sides of my face but as it's so dark it can be noticeable at times.



I am on the pill now but have never been told of any hormonal imbalance.



It could be to do with your family history but you don't know this at the moment.



My mother is dark and has the same thing so it could be something you inheritesd from your parents.



I know it's annoying but bleaching helps and some creams actually get rid of the hair and have another cream which stops it coming back as thick and as dark.



My mother also tried an electrinic tweezers thing which does the same sort of thing as the creams and worked a treat but it does take about 6 months for you to see any real difference in appearance, however the hair is less coarse and grows more slowly than before so you could give this a try.



All the best!



I also get the abdominal pains you speak of from time to time, this is just ovulation, nothing to do with any hormonal imbalance. I don't get it now that I am on the pill as it prevents you from ovulating so I'm pretty sure that this is what you are talking about.



Try going on the pill and see if you still get this pain after a couple of months on it. If not, this is your problem, if you still get them, get a second opinion!



ps If you do go on the pill, don't go on Microgynon 30, it causes major depression and can cause hormone imbalance. I'm on Cilest and it's great!



Does facial hair growth in (young) adult women always indicate a hormonal imbalance?

The only way for your doctor to find out if there is a hormone problem is for them to do lab work. Ask your doctor to draw up some blood and do some simple tests on your hormone levels to see if they come back normal. A lot of times as people get older their body chances and they will experince a change in their men. cycle and a change in their body over all. I knwo my friend has hair under her chin and she is just fine its just the way her body is. But maybe if your concerned about it and you dont know your background very well it wouldnt hurt to have it done.



Does facial hair growth in (young) adult women always indicate a hormonal imbalance?

It can be a sign of androgen sensitivity, or it can just be the way you are. Since you are adopted, you can't know where you're from, but women of Mediterranean origin (Italian, Greek, and so forth) are notorious for having a lot of facial hair. Ditto for middle eastern women. It's perfectly normal for their genotype.



If you'd just started developing this issue I'd be more concerned, but since it seems to have started in your teens I'd suspect this might be the way you are. By all means bring it up with your doctor, though... they'll be able to put together all the pieces.



Does facial hair growth in (young) adult women always indicate a hormonal imbalance?

It sounds like PCOS. I have it and my cycle became extreme irregular and eventually stopped. I gained a lot of weight, had insulin resistance and grew the dark hair on my face. The good news is that it is a totally treatable condition. The pain you feel during ovulation could be from the cysts on your ovaries.



I would definitely talk to your doctor and name PCOS.

No comments:

Post a Comment